Homes in Avery Elementary School District
"Educating the Emerging Generation"
About Avery Elementary School… Read More...
Avery Elementary School, built in 2007, had its grand opening on August 6, 2007, with an opening enrollment of 1053 serving grade Kindergarten through Fifth Grade. In order to manage community growth in Woodstock and Canton, Georgia, students merged into Avery from three feeder schools, namely Buffington, Hickory Flat and Macedonia Elementary Schools. Avery received its name based on the history of its location. In 1895, a one-room schoolhouse named Avery was built in the same community. It is believed that Avery was the first school built in Cherokee County. In 1957, Avery merged with Buffington ES and Avery was torn down. More than 100 years later, the community felt strongly that the new school be named Avery. The school colors are blue, green and gold; one color was taken from each of the three feeder schools to symbolize unity as the schools came together under one roof. These colors are also the same as Creekland MS and Creekview HS, the Innovation Zone feeder schools.
Avery exudes technology throughout the entire school. It was the first elementary school in the Cherokee County School District that is completely fiber optic and wireless. Instead of standard whiteboards in classrooms, interactive Promethean boards are used.
The Charter Principal of Avery was Dr. Georgann Toop who served from 2007-2010. Letitia Cline became Principal of Avery in July 2010 and served in that role until 2012. Dr. Pam Smith, who served as one of Avery’s assistant principals during the 2007-2008 inaugural year, returned in July 2012 as Avery’s principal. Dr. Lisa Turner took over as Avery’s Principal in July 2015. Avery serves grades K-5 with an enrollment of approximately040 students. The sense of community and school pride is prevalent throughout Avery Elementary School.